Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Reset Button

The mentality of the Reset Button comes in handy in my life quite a bit.  But the times that I've noticed it's true effectiveness have been during long distance running.  I've always said that when you run a half marathon, and especially a full marathon, you can go through about 7 different personalities during that time span.  Those personalities can range from hopeful, to energetic, to spiritual zen, to bored, to annoyed, to ticked off and then to Mr. Hyde.  Most of the latter ones are brought on by actual events. 

For instance, maybe someone accidentally bumps you or steps on you during a race and it really ticks you off...suddenly you find yourself in a bad mood (furious even!).  Maybe your running buddy becomes similar to a drill Sergeant and you really want to smack them across the face.  Maybe you trip and fall.  Maybe that tag on your shirt that was seemingly harmless at mile 2 has taken off a chunk of your skin and the sweat burns like a mo-fo.  Maybe your body starts to shut down and you can't block out the pain of your screaming calves or hamstrings.  Or maybe your ipod has a robotic bitch that comes on and tells you the name of all your playlists for no reason and you can't shut her up...

OK, so I've mentioned that last one a few times lately if you keep up with this blog.   I was enjoying my beautiful 12 mile run and was thinking of the fact that I could blog about the beauty of trail running for my next blog...oh happy perfect day.  I was thinking 'This run is perfect! I can conquer the World'.  Then Helga, the robotic bitch, started doing her thing.  So, I walked and messed with my ipod.  And the Helga made another appearance.  So, I reset the factory settings.  Freakin Helga came back on to robotically serenade me with all the music choices I had on my ipod.  I powered it off and then back on.  Damn Helga is relentless.  Eventually, I found the magical setting that shut her the f up for good.  Seriously Apple...no one wants your 'Shake to Shuffle' setting or the 'Female feedback' setting.  The only thing I want is a guy with an Australian accent to come on and tell me that I'm kicking ass and looking hot.  Where is that setting? 

By the time I silenced the bitch, I was ticked off.  I had started/stopped many times and was completely out of my groove.  I was angry and moody.  Grrrrrrr... 

Thus the need for the Reset Button.  This isn't my first time to utilize the reset button on a run.  But this is how I go about 'pressing it'.  I literally visualize a reset button and take a deep breath.  I think of all things starting new.  A new run.  A new start.  A new beginning.  I thank God and my body for the miles it has already given me.  But then I leave the past miles behind me.  Let them go.  I shake out my arms and I force myself to smile.   I force myself to see what is around me.  And I press my mental reset. 

Does it always work?  I'd say 9/10 times for me.  If it is a pain situation, it is obviously way tougher than just a mental reset.  It never works as effectively in my personal and professional life as it does during a run.  But it is still helpful to just press reset.  Give yourself another try.  Forgive yourself for your bad mood. Wipe the slate clean and leave the bad behind.  Everyone has the power to change your own mood, you just have to figure out YOUR best way to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment