Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Pumpkin Spice Latte Tease


Aren’t you excited that Fall is finally here? I know I am!  I bought two sweaters yesterday!!   I know Fall has arrived because Starbucks has started serving their Pumpkin Spice latte.  A sure sign that Fall has officially started.  So, I got excited and started to think my runs would get easier, I envisioned running with my winter clothes, my sweet jackets and long sleeve shirts…..

Then I went out for a run on Saturday and was met with 90degree weather and 90% humidity conditions that could barely allow me to breathe.  I had to walk a lot and was drenched in sweat within 3 minutes. It was awful and I thought ‘Stupid f-ing Starbucks, what a bunch of liars’.  I completely blame them.  I’m not sure how the autumnal equinox didn’t shift to the release of the pumpkin spice latte, but it didn’t happen. 

I have learned a few things this year.  I’ve learned that summer is definitely my hardest running season.  Where I used to have a great run 8 out of 10 times, it drops to about 3 out of ten times in the summer.  Nothing has changed besides the weather.  But interestingly enough, with each bad run comes the dread of the next bad run and then comes the quitting phase.  Which is something that has always plagued me.  I’ve never been able to go out, have a horrible run and wipe the slate clean for the next run.  My latest horrible run will plague me and sit on my shoulder whispering ‘You suck’ until the next run.  Which in the summer, the next run is most likely to be horrible again based on my statistics. 

So, I’ve finally learned to force myself to be a little more loving this summer.  I tell myself that its fine to go slow, its fine to walk, its fine to be miserable but I’m out there, I’m still doing it.  Even if its only 3 miles, it was 3 miles more than I had done already.  I keep telling myself that my time will come and that time will be when the temperature gets down into the 70’s.  And then it will get easier and more enjoyable again. Although it seems like it will never happen and some weather phenomenon will occur to where we’ll be stuck in this humid hell forever.  Although I blame Starbucks for the tease, it is a sure sign that we are moving in the right direction.  Keep it up runners!  I believe and hope that cooler weather is coming!  And surely we will see rewards for running through this hot humid weather!!

No comments:

Post a Comment